Monday, September 15, 2014

Raid Leading - "Hit Your Button"

I remember my very first raiding experience with absolute clarity: I remember being absolutely terrified.  Here I am.  Little Mage, first raid, first time really seeing what is involved in a raid, in a group of people I don't know too terribly well beyond first introductions. (I needed to have someone explain to me what a Cauldron was and why I should click it.)

And across from me, flapping in the breeze and starting me down with a maliciousness that made me tremble: Ultraxion.

Yup.  I was pretty terrified. All I could think was "Gee, this is a really nice guild, I really hope they don't hate me.  I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing but I hope it's good enough."  And then the raid leader went through the bit about Hour of Twilight - and then I thought I was dead. "Click your button."

Now wait.  First time in a raid.  What the hell did "your button" mean?


I had no idea what an extra action button was, and after piping up nervously and shyly, I asked what they meant.  My raid leader explained there would be an extra button that would appear (what the fuck was this black magic?) and I'd have to click it.

So I basically spent the entire encounter with Ultraxion with my mouse hovering over where the button was supposed to appear. My DPS was abysmal, my raid awareness was nonexistent, and yet it was my first taste of raiding.

And. I. Loved. It.

And haven't stopped since.

No comments:

Post a Comment